Monday, June 14, 2010

Review of "Shadow Bound" by Erin Kellison


I was actually sent this book months ago, but I put off the review because I knew the release date was some time away, and I wanted to wait until closer to that date. I know it just aggravates me when I see a book reviewed, I get excited about it, and OH WAIT - you can't get the book for another three months. SORRY! And other times, I forget about the book because the hype was started too early, and then filtered off. So this is me, taking a stand and not reviewing the book until now. Take that, world!

Disclaimer: I was sent this book by the publisher, Dorcester Publishing, in exchange for a review.

Type: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Suspense

Release date: This book hits the shelves June 29th, and it's sequel "Shadow Fall" will be released July 27th.

From the back of the book: " DEATH Some people will do anything ot avoid it. Even trade their immortal souls for endless existance. WRAITHS Secretly, inexorably, they are infiltrating our world, sucking the essence out of unsuspecting victims with their hideous parody of a kiss. SEGUE Adam Thorne founded the Segue Institute to study and destroy his monster of a brother, but the key to its success is held in the pale, slender hand of a woman on the run. There is something hauntingly different about Talia O'Brien, her unknowing sensuality, her uncanny way of slipping into shadow. TWILIGHT This is the place between life and what comes after - a dark forest of fantasy, filled with beauty, peril, mystery. And Talia is about to open the door. "

I'm a big fan of mythology. I'm nerdy enough to study it on my own, and I especially love mythology in fiction. Some great examples of this would be my love for the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. There are countless others, as well, and now we have "Shadow Bound" to add to the list. I believe Celtic mythology is the most prevalent in this book, though there are hints of others as well.

I thought this book was fantastic because of the creatures. There's a demon, Death, wraiths.. wonderfully created beings that just make me want more. The Wraiths in "Shadow Bound" can be likened to vampires, immortal beings with super-enhanced abilities, and the urge to feed not on blood, but on human souls. Along with wraiths, we have the demon who heads them. Death, a chained creature that plays a powerful role. All of these together form a hugely dense bit of fiction. At times, I was a little overwhelmed by how much was packed into what felt like such a short novel. "Shadow Bound" is 322 pages, but so power packed, it felt like it went by in a flash. I'm not sure how much I can express my need for the second book, so I can see what happens to these creatures. After the ending of this one, I'm not sure the second can hold a candle.. but we'll see.

As for the characters themselves, I liked them - Adam especially. But Talia just felt off to me, for some reason. I liked her well enough, but she seemed... I don't want to say flighty, but there were several occasions where she seemed resolved to something, and several pages later, she would be just as dead set on doing the very opposite. There were circumstances that made her change her mind, of course, but she had been so passionate about doing one thing, it felt a little weird for her to switch so completely, without even a moments hesitation. These moments occured earlier on in the story, and by the end, her character had redeemed itself to me. I felt better about Talia, and especially loved the choice she made in the end, which lead to the choice Death made, which I loved even more. Seriously, there's has to be something wrong with me that I often love the Death personified character in books. I loved Death in "Shadow Bound," I love Hades in the Dark-Hunter series.. and there are plenty more.

I'm going to give Shadow Bound a FOUR out of FIVE. I enjoyed the plot, the story, and the characters. I'm going to have to go out and pick up the sequel, "Shadow Fall" when it's released July 27th. And please, make sure to go get your copy of "Shadow Bound" by Erin Kellison when it is released, June 29th.

Happy Reading!
~!~ Morning Glow

Next Up: "Fallen" by Lauren Kate

No comments: