Friday, June 24, 2016

Weekly Reading Update 6/17 - 6/23/16!

Another week, another update! As always, click the title for more information.

It’s been another full week for me. I started feeling really poorly Monday morning, and ended up having to leave work early, and then stay home Tuesday. Since I couldn’t do much else but lay there and whine, I got a fair amount of reading done. Reviews are scheduled for the next week, so you’ll be seeing some of what entertained me while I was sick. The rest is below!

Another week of graphic novels - a bunch came in for me at once, and they’re easy and fast to read, so I usually read those first, so I can return them faster. I read Batman and Robin vol 7: Robin Rises by Peter Tomasi. I cannot tell you how happy I am to see Damien again. Batman and Robin just isn’t the same without.. You know.. ROBIN. Following that was Teen Titans vol 1: Blinded by the Light by Will Pfiefer. Red Robin features heavily in Robin Wars (surprise surprise), so I wanted to read more with this character - this was the only thing I could find on short notice. Next was The Astonishing Ant-man vol 1: Everybody Loves Team-ups by Nick Spencer. I enjoy Ant-man as a character, but this volume just felt meh to me. And finally, I finished the Deadpool Killogy by reading Deadpool Kills Deadpool by Cullen Bunn. It was truly hilarious to see the different versions of Deadpool. Worth a read if you like The Merc with a Mouth.


After binging on some review books I had been looking forward to, I moved on to Envy of Angels by Matt Wallace. As you’ve seen in a few previous weeks, I’m working my way through the Tor.com novellas that have been releasing in the past year. Every single one I’ve read thus far has been fantastic - and this book was no exception to that rule. I was so completely amused. It’s weird, it’s quirky, and it’s exactly the type of odd that I love. I already have book two to start reading!

So I’ve been working my way through the Unfinished Hero series by Kristen Ashley. Guys, these books drive me insane. I think I hate them. I roll my eyes while reading them. But after I finish… I can’t stop thinking about it. I can still find plenty to rant about, but it’s like they get under my skin. Heck, it was while I was ranting about book two that I paused mid-rant, and requested book three - which amused my friend to no end. I actually bought Knight, the first book. Why?! And guess what. As soon as I finished Raid this week… I requested book four, Deacon.

As part of my library’s staff summer reading challenge, we are filling out bingo cards. Each box has a different task we’re supposed to complete to fill the square, and when we get a bingo, it’s one entry towards a prize. The boxes are all reading/listening related, some examples: “an audiobook from OneClickDigital,” “Coworker Recommendation,” and “Juvenile Fiction.” It’s fun to read outside of my usual genres. For A book adapted into a movie, I read Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx. I read this years ago in college for a literature and film class, but that was forever ago. It was nice to revisit it.

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda, Novel Addiction ~!~

No comments: