Friday, August 19, 2016

Weekly Reading Update: 8/12 - 8/18/16!


Another week, another update… As always, click the title for more information!

I felt like a got a lot of reading done this week, but that’s mostly because I was home sick for a few days, and there wasn’t much else I could do besides read and suffer. But while I might have managed to get the reading itself done, several of these books require reviews (mostly for Romance Reviews Today), and I haven’t even started on that yet.

I started my weekend off reading a graphic novel - Princeless: Raven the Pirate Princess Book 2: Free Women by Jeremy Whitley. If you haven’t read any of the Princeless graphic novels, you need to do so now! They are so clever, and ridiculously funny. I think I like the spin-off series featuring Raven even more than the original series. To create a proper bookend (snort), I finished the week off with another graphic novel, Nailbiter volume 2: Bloody Hands by Joshua Williamson. This series is weird, dark, and creepy - so deeply engrossing. I hope to find volume 3 sooner rather than later.

Next was The Right Kind of Trouble by Shiloh Walker. This has been a series I wanted to read since the first book came out, but haven’t gotten around to it just yet. I got this one (book 3) to review for Romance Reviews Today, and luckily, it can mostly work as a stand alone. I loved the hero, Gideon. But the heroine, Moira, made me more than a little angry and frustrated most of the time. But I loved the story enough that it was worth it. And I still want to go back and read the previous books.

Still bedridden (or at least that’s how it felt), I picked up Lustlocked by Matt Wallace next. This is the second book in the Sin Du Jour series, and I thought it was just as ridiculous and hilarious as the first. I’ve already put in a request for the library to purchase the third book, so hopefully they get on that sooner rather than later. I’m loving all the Tor.com novellas I’ve read thus far (well… except for one or two).

In the mood for something different, I finally read One-Eyed Dukes Are Wild by Megan Frampton. I’ve had this checked out from the library for months, and having now read it - I’m so mad I waited this long! This book was delightful. I would have loved it anyways for the punny title, but the book itself is amazing. So original, fun, and adorable. It definitely makes me want to go through and read more by this author.

For the past week or so, I’ve been reading a little bit of How English Became English by Simon Horobin every night before bed. If you like nonfiction, languages, linguistics, etc, I would suggest giving this one a shot. It’s short, while still managing to pack a bunch of information. The best part were the examples - a paragraph in multiple versions of English, to see how the language has changed over time.

Last, but certainly not least, I read Miss Match by Laurelin McGee. I got to review the second book in the series, Love Struck for Romance Reviews Today. And since then, I’ve wanted to check out the first book - I’m so glad I finally got to it! It was funny and so sweet. I went ahead and added it to my wishlist, because I know I will need to re-read this soon!

That’s it for me this week!

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda, Novel Addiction ~!~

No comments: