Monday, September 21, 2009

Review of "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre" by Amanda Grange



Just finished "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre" by Amanda Grange. What's with all the Jane Austen sequels, etc coming out now? "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," "Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters," "Mr. Darcy's Diary," etc. Not that I'm complaining.. I love "Pride and Prejudice" and I love to see Elizabeth and Darcy's story continued. On that note...

"Mr. Darcy, Vampyre" picks up where "Pride and Prejudice" leaves off. We begin with Darcy and Elizabeth's wedding day, and follow them on their wedding tour of Europe. But Elizabeth is worried, because her husband seems so preoccupied, he isn't showing her the affection she expected of a husband. And indeed, it seems he has quite a secret that he is keeping from her.

I love that this book references "Pride and Prejudice" on several occasions, Elizath and Darcy teasing one another about past occurances, or discussing how they met, etc. Both Darcy and Elizabeth are kept in character for the most part, though we can only assume that is how Elizabeth would act when faced with such a situation. A nitpicky point here, maybe, but I felt there was a little too much repition in the beginning. Several times Darcy asks Elizabeth if she had been overseas, or in a boat. And not just him, but other seems to keep asking the same. It just got old fast.

I liked her version of the vampire myth, which is not something I've seen much of lately. Each Vampyre family has a different weakness. One has no reflection, another can't handle religious items, and another still must be indoors at both sunset and sunrise because they become transparent.

All in all, I thought the book was good, and will give it a THREE POINT FIVE out of FIVE. I thought the story was interesting, but it moved a little slow for me, and I really don't see myself re-reading this much in the future. It'll probably sit next to my copy of "Pride and Prejudice" and whenever I have the urge to re-read that, I'll probably follow it up with "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre." However, I can totally see Darcy as a vampire, and I know there are plenty out there who will agree! Make sure to check out "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre" by Amanda Grange

Happy reading!

Photo courtesy of Amazon.com

No comments: