Saturday, April 3, 2010

Review of "The Cinderella Deal" by Jennifer Crusie


I spent my day doing yardwork, and to relax, all I wanted was a good book. So of course I picked up a Jennifer Crusie book! I believe "The Cinderella Deal" was published some time ago, and it has just be re-released with a new cover. It was also one of the only Jennifer Crusie books I don't own. What can I say, I'm a huge fan. But on to the review.

Disclaimer: I, the reviewer, bought this book on my own. I was not compensated in any way for this review.

From the back of the book: " Daisy Flattery is a free spirit with a soft spot for strays and a weakness for a good story. Why else would she agree to the outrageous charade offered by her buttoned-down workaholic neighbor, Linc Blaise? The history professor needs to have a fiancee in order to capture his dream job, and Daisy is game to play the role. But something funny happens on their way to the altar that changes everything. Now, with the proverbial midnight hour approaching, will Daisy lose her prince, or will opposites not only attract but live happily ever after? "

As I said, I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Crusie, I will, and have, read everything by her - except for her newest release, which I just found out about today and therefore need to go buy. And "The Cinderella Deal" did not disappoint. Maybe it's just that I have become more emotionally involved in things I've read lately, or maybe I've just read some great books lately, but there was a time or two in this book that I about teared up because I was so emotional. But that's what I love about this author and her books. There's humor, which I love to read, but there's also real emotions. And sometimes, you can't help but feel them too.

I was a little worried that the plot was going to run out, since things seemed to be moving so fast - and indeed, a fair amount of time was covered in this book. But I was glad to find that it really worked. Their months together felt like a whirlwind to the reader, and when you think about how the characters are reacting to this huge, new change, you realize that it's all a big whirlwind to them as well.

I loved the characters, and they were comforting. There's a reason I keep coming back to Jennifer Crusie's books - she writes characters that I love, ones I know I can count on to give me the good love story I need. And not just human characters. Dogs show up in several of Jenny Crusie's books, and "The Cinderella Deal" doesn't disappoint in that area, either. Jupiter, a stray that Daisy finds and adopts, helps shape Linc's character and begins his change from stuffed shirt to something human.

I am a little disappointed with the cover though. It's a good, eye catching cover - but having read the book, I assume the dog on the front is meant to depict Jupiter. Well.. considering Jupiter is a one-eyed, stray, mutt, I'm sure his looks are... vastly different. But I guess that doesn't really matter. Covers are there to help sell the book, and I've already bought it. I do enjoy the bright colors on the cover though, I know the main character, Daisy, would really love it. And I think it's a nice touch, when the cover shows a part of the character.

All that said, I'm giving "The Cinderella Deal" by Jennifer Crusie a FIVE out of FIVE. Once again, she didn't disappoint. And I think this book might have to be moved to the top of my "Jenny Crusie Favorites" list. I really suggest anyone in the mood for a good, quick, funny romance should pick up anything from Jennifer Crusie - and especially "The Cinderella Deal."

Check out "The Cinderella Deal" and Happy Reading!
~!~ Morning Glow

1 comment:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Wow, great review. I've only read one Jennifer Crusie book (Strange Bedpersons) but I think I have another in my TBR. I'd like to read more by this author.