Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Interview: DANE COBAIN author of "No Rest For The Wicked"

Dane Cobain, author of "No Rest For The Wicked," has joined me at Novel Addiction to answer a few questions! Be sure to check out his awesome book, and find him on the web! See the links below.

1. Plotter or Pantser? Or do you have your own writing method?

I plot, but not to an excessive level - in fact, when it comes to editing,
one of the jobs I have to do is to check things like eye colour and other
attributes that I didn't necessarily plan out. I usually do a short
character profile for each of the main characters, and then I start to plan
out each individual chapter, usually with a paragraph per chapter. From
that, I just start writing!

2.  If you could make everyone read one book, what would it be? And sure, it can be your own!

Then I'll go for my own - No Rest for the Wicked! And there's a good reason
for it - it's a novella, so it's pretty short, and it's also a fast-paced
thriller with a pretty broad appeal. The main piece of constructive
criticism that I've received so far has been that people thought it was too
short, but I see that as a good thing - I'm hoping that it means that
they'll be looking forward to my next release with bated breath. And the
good thing about everyone reading a book that's easy to read is that they'll
be more likely to go and pick up another book, afterwards!

3. Name your go-to author for a good read.

Charles Bukowski, for both his fiction and his poetry. I have high
expectations of his work because he's one of my favourite authors, and he
still hasn't let me down. His work isn't for everyone, though - he was an
alcoholic womaniser, but he could write.

4. How do you write? Computer, by-hand, etc?

I used to write everything by hand and then type it up, and that's what I
did for No Rest for the Wicked, but I'm probably going to try to type my
next novel because it's a lot faster. I still write poetry by hand, though!

5. Stand-alones or series, what is your preference?

I usually prefer standalones, both to read and to write - that way, I think
you get more diversity. I think they allow you to jump between ideas a lot
faster, and that can only be a good thing.

6. How important are covers to you as a reader and a writer?

I think they're very important - even more so, as a writer. The cover is
quite often what draws potential readers in, and so I think it's vital to
get them right - you want to form a good impression. As a reader, they're
somewhat less important, but they do still contribute to the overall
aesthetics of the book. But so do things like the paper quality, and the
size and width.

About "No Rest For The Wicked"
When the Angels attack, there’s NO REST FOR THE WICKED.

Father Montgomery, an elderly priest with a secret past, begins to investigate after his parishioners come under attack, and with the help of Jones, a young businessman with an estranged child, Montgomery begins to track down the origin of the Angels.

The Angels are naked and androgynous. They speak in a dreadful harmony with no clear leader. These aren’t biblical cherubs tasked with the protection of the righteous – these are deadly creatures of light that have the power to completely eradicate.

When Jones himself is attacked, Father Montgomery knows he has to act fast. He speaks to the Angels and organises a final showdown where he’s asked to make the ultimate sacrifice.

About Dane Cobain
Dane Cobain is a writer, poet and musician from a place you've probably never heard of, somewhere in England. When he's not writing books, he's reading and reviewing them on his book blog - SocialBookshelves.com - or working at his day job in social media marketing. Find him at Facebook.com/DaneCobainMusic or follow @DaneCobain on Twitter.

No comments: