Friday, June 3, 2016

Weekly Reading Update 5/27 - 6/02/16!



Another week, another update! As always, click the title for more information.

You see my reviews on the blog, but my weekly updates are all about the weird, random, and reviewed-for-other-places reading that I do throughout the week. If you want to see what I read as I read it, as well as my ratings and quickie reviews, be sure to follow me on Goodreads.

Once again, I went graphic novel crazy, so I’ll just list them all quick and move on to the meatier books. It was a mostly Image comics weekend, with a Marvel and DC mixed in for something different. I started with Gotham Academy 2: Calamity by Becky Cloonan, then moved to Miles Morales, Ultimate Spider-man 2: Revelations by Brian Michael Bendis. I then breezed by way through Thief of Thieves 1: “I Quit” by Robert Kirkman, Five Ghosts 2: Lost Coastlines and Five Ghosts 3: Monsters and Men by Frank J. Barbiere. I finished up the comics binge with Morning Glories, Volume 9 by Nick Spencer. Obviously, I had a very busy Friday.

I then moved on to Sticky Fingers by Niki Burnham. I read the Royally Jacked series by her a few months ago, so Goodreads suggested this title to me, and I took the bait. It was an interesting read, a little preachy.. But I think the author dealt with this tough situation really well. It’s not one for the keeper shelf, but I thought it was an entertaining read. Honestly, I would probably look into reading more books by this author.

Next up were a few books for Romance Reviews Today. Rocked by Love by Christine Warren is the fourth book in the Gargoyles series, and it was super fun to read. I really liked the two main characters. I hope the author writes the next book soon so I can get my hands on it! After that I read Wicked Heart by Leisa Rayven - and oh wow. I loved this. I didn’t enjoy Bad Romeo and Broken Juliet as much as the rest of the world (or at least it feels like the rest of the world disagrees with me) - but Wicked Heart more than made up for it!

I’ve been working my way through all of the Tor.com novellas that my library owns, so my next book choice was Binti by Nnedi Okorafor. Guys, seriously.. If you like futuristic science fiction, you need to read this. It was so good! And thankfully, it’s the beginning of a series, so there will be more in the future - I just don’t think I can wait that long. This is probably my second favorite of the ones I’ve read, my first favorite being The Forest of Memory by Mary Robinette Kowal.

Last, but of course not least, I read The Dark Vampire by Kate Baxter, for Romance Reviews Today. I’m super grateful that they keep sending me the next book in the series to read whenever it releases, because this is a fun paranormal romance series.

Happy Reading!

!~ Amanda, Novel Addiction ~!~

No comments: