Friday, May 20, 2016

Weekly Reading Update 5/13 - 5/19/16

 ( As always, click the link to get more information about each book! )

This was a big graphic novel week for me - mostly because I got back from vacation and had so many holds ready for me to pick up from the library! So I read all the graphic novels first thing, so that I could read them and return them quickly. I went through Guardians Team-Up Volume 1: Guardians Assemble and Guardians of the Galaxy: New Guard Volume 1: Emperor Quill. Both were fun reads, but I'm partial to the "Emperor Quill" book - it has Kitty Pryde in it! I'm a huge Shadowcat fan.

I then moved on to two non-superhero graphic novels. Giant Days: Volume 2 by John Allison, which I absolutely loved. This series is awesome - three girls becoming friends in their first year of college. It's well written, and the illustrations are great! I highly recommend it! Next was Patience by Daniel Clowes - this one was a little trippy. It was definitely an interesting read, but I can't see myself wanting to read it again in the future.

Working in a library, I see a lot of interesting titles go by. And sometimes, they're just so ridiculous that I can't pass up the chance to read them - like the next book, The Detective's 8 lb 10 oz Surprise by Meg Maxwell. It's a Harlequin title, and while I admit to totally binging on them every so often, I usually stick to the Presents line. This book was part of the Special Edition line, which has never been one of my favorites - but this was a pleasant surprise. It was pretty cute! And I even want to read the next book when it releases.

I actually had Wednesday off this week, so I decided to re-read an all-time favorite - Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell! Sometimes you just need a comfort read. I originally read this when I borrowed it from the library. And the second I finished it, I went to Amazon and bought a copy. Last year, Rainbow Rowell was at a local book convention - and alas, I had to work that day. But my friend was able to go, and took my copy of Fangirl! So I have it signed, with a note from Rainbow saying "I'm sorry I missed you!" It makes me smile every time I see it.

I finished the week off with some more comics. Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man 1: Revival by Brian Michael Bendis. Followed that up with Descender, volume 2: Machine Moon by Jeff Lemire - this series is absolutely amazing. But then, it's Jeff Lemire, and he knows what he's doing! Next up was Groot by Jeff Loveness - and yes, that is Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy! Second to last was Jessica Jones: Alias Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis. And last, but not least, was Rat Queens, Volume 3: Demons by Kurtis J. Wiebe. Rat Queens is an all-time favorite series. It's a bit like Dungeons and Dragons... but with a lot of four letter words.

It was a very graphic novel week for me, clearly! I read a few actual books as well, I promise - you'll see proof of that next week when my reviews post!


Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda, Novel Addiction ~!~

No comments: