Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Review of "A Kiss Before the Apocalypse" by Thomas E. Sniegoski

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse: A Remy Chandler NovelANGELS! Fallen and otherwise! Not to mention an author I love. For those of you sick of my angel obsession, feel free to blame Thomas E. Sniegoski.

Disclaimer: This book was not given to me in exchange for a review, nor have I been given any monetary incentive to write a positive review. I am, however, an Amazon Affiliate. By clicking on the link below, I will earn a (very) small percentage.

Type: Fiction, Fantasy, Series, ANGELS!!, Private Investigator, The end of the world
From the back of the book: "  Boston P.I. Remy Chandler has many talents. He can will himself invisible, he can speak and understand any foreign language (including the language of animals), and if he listens carefully, he can hear thoughts.
Unusual, to say the least - for an ordinary man. But Remy is no ordinary man - he's an angel. Generations ago, he chose to renounce heaven and live on Earth. He's found a place among us ordinary humans; friendship, a job he's good at - and love.
Now he is being drawn into a case with strong ties to his angelic past. The Angel of Death has gone missing - and Remy's former colleagues have come to him for help. But what at first seems to be about tracing a missing person turns out to involve much more - a conspiracy that has as its goal the destruction of the human race.
And only Remy Chandler, formerly known as the angel Remiel, can stop it.  "

I said it before, but I'll say it again - ANGELS! This author wow-ed me with his "Fallen" series, and he's at it again with the Remy Chandler series. Remy has left heaven to live amongst the humans. Since he didn't fall, and actually just created a human persona for himself, Remy's two natures - human and angelic - are constantly fighting throughout this book. And he needs to take strength from both sides if he's going to stop the apocalypse. There is so much emotional conflict in this one book alone. Remy knows he needs to find the Angel of Death and bring him back, and stop the end of the world from happening, but at the same time, can he deal with the fact that the Death Angel will have to take his elderly, and sick, wife when he returns?

Remy is a fascinating character, but he's one of many. We have the Grigori - The Watchers - who just can't seem to stop enjoying themselves (music, parties, and sex included), Francis - who now guards Earth from any wayward fallen angels, and even Lazarus. I was instantly a little fascinated by Lazarus, since he is the one from biblical legend. He was called back from Death, and was never able to die again afterwards, no matter how much he tried. And I can't forget Marlowe, Remy's dog, who is just the sweetest thing ever. Even knowing how dangerous things can be, Marlowe doesn't want to leave Remy to face it alone.

"A Kiss Before the Apocalypse" had such a dynamic cast of characters, and such a complex plot, there's no way I could go into it all. The story was well done, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. Once again, author Thomas E. Sniegoski did not disappoint. Thank goodness I have the rest of the series so I can continue reading them. Whew. I'm going to give "A Kiss Before the Apocalypse" by Sniegoski a FIVE out of FIVE (5/5). It had a wonderful story, and even better characters. I can't wait to read the rest of the series to see how the events of this book effected his life.

Have you read it? Tell me your thoughts in the comments. Want to read it? Find it at Amazon.com!


Until next time..

~!~ Morning Glow

No comments: