Thursday, April 28, 2011

GUEST POST: James Hutchings talks short stories!

Please help me welcome James Hutchings, author of the short-story collection "Two-Fisted Tweets." Thirty stories, all less than 140 characters. Sounds like a blast! Without further ado... James!
****************************************************************************

Two-Fisted Tweets is a collection of thirty short stories. Each is less than 140 characters (the length of a Twitter tweet).


I've always been more interested in short stories than in novels, both writing and reading. However, if I hadn't discovered the Nanoism and PicFic websites, who publish tweet-length writing, I don't think I ever would've written anything that short.

I've been surprised how much you can get into a tiny number of words. This is especially true in science fiction, fantasy, and horror, where there are common plots that you can suggest by mentioning one or two elements.

I think I'm partly reacting against the tendency towards huge 'doorstop' novels, where every story has to be 1000 pages long and part of a series. It seems to be especially severe in fantasy, I guess because of the long shadow of Lord of the Rings.

I don't want to write a blurb that's longer than the book, so I'll stop there. If you're interested, the homepage for the book is is here, and my blog is here.
*************************************************************************
Thanks for joining us, James! Be sure to follow the links above to find James and buy the book. And my apologies for the late posting of this guest post - blogger did not post it as scheduled, sigh.




Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda ~!~

No comments: