Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Now I'm scared of Vein Star.. REVIEW: "Mind Games" by Carolyn Crane

Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy: Book 1)Why this book?: I heard so many good things about it. I finally found another library system that owns it (mine doesn't! Big sad face), and I got it from there. YAY.

Disclaimer: Library book.

Type: Paranormal Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Psychic Powers, Trilogy, Book One, Must have Book Two NOW, Hypochondria

About the book: Justine is a hypochondriac, constantly living in fear of dying via the illness that killed her mother. All she wants is to be normal, and when a strange man named Packard promises to give her that, she thinks it's a load of bull. She gets one zing, and lives a month of complete normalcy.. how could she not go back to him? But it comes with a price, she has to become part of his team to disillusion criminals using her hypochondria. As much as she isn't sure about this group, about Packard, and about what they're doing, she can't help but love being around similar people, to feel like she belongs.

My Review: I really, really enjoyed this book. This is another story where I found the main character so incredibly geniune and real feeling. I would love to see more characters that aren't perfect, more characters with this sort of attitude. Justine has managed to deal with her hypochondria, even though that meant numerous trips to the ER and even more time spent in MRI machines. Her attacks, and how she feels afterwards felt spot on, and it was almost refreshing to find a character so real. Continuing on with the characters - I know it's hooky and cheesy, but I loved Packard's "masters and minions" talk. He talks like someone of a different age, or the evil villian in an animated movie. I so enjoyed the fact that Packard's nemesis is actually called The Nemesis.

Normally I hate the villian in any story because, well.. he's the bad guy. But I couldn't hate either of the possible villians in this story - because I wasn't sure who the real one was. There's something good about both of them. Oh, the crazy scary people Justine disillusions earlier in the book scared me something fierce, but our final two villians, the final showdown of "Mind Games" as it were, I'm so torn. But at the same time, I like it, because Justine is also torn and confused - and that creates further connection between the reader and the main character.

"Mind Games" was an incredibly original story - the whole idea of disillusionists, working together ot reform criminals. There are so many little things in this story that aren't a huge deal, but work together to make this book something special. I couldn't put it down, and I honestly cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel. I hope you all get a chance to read this!

Cover Loving: Excellent. I think it suits the book.

Recommendation: Recommended for everyone - specifically fans of urban fantasy. But this book was good enough that I'm more than okay about making everyone I know read it.

Final Rating: FIVE out of FIVE (5/5). Loved it. Couldn't put it down (and hated when I had to), and I eagerly await getting book two, which I might just buy instead of having to wait to get it from another library system via interlibrary loan.

Have you read "Mind Games" or the sequel by Carolyn Crane? What are your thoughts? Would you like to get your own copy? Get it from Amazon.com!

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda ~!~

1 comment:

Deea said...

Great review! I'm so glad you liked this book! I recently got it in the mail too and though the blurb sounds interesting, it made me a little nervous. But after reading your review, I can't wait to read it! It sounds awesome!:D